November 24, 2021
HAWKINSON FUND 2021 AWARDS CEREMONY VIDEO
The Hawkinson Fund 2021 Award Ceremony was November 10, and the video can be viewed at this link: https://ninenorth.org/videos/hawkinson-scholarship-fund-award-ceremony/
- 2500 gifts (for ages birth to 18 years) – Culturally appropriate (no white dolls, for instance.
- 1000 Target, Walmart, Cub Foods gift cards ($10)
- $5,000 to purchase books by Black authors and illustrators
- Donate money, please give to We Win Institute (https://www.we-win.org/) and note that it is for the Good Holiday Giving Gifts.
- If you want to buy a gift or gift certificate, you can drop that off at my house. Please call or text me at 612-730-9688 to let me know.
GRACE MEN’S BREAKFASTS: Save the Dates!
Dec. 11, Jan. 8 and 22
Dear Grace Men: You are cordially invited!
- With great hopefulness, we will plan to gather in person for Breakfast at 8:30 AM on Saturday, December 11th at Grace Church. Park in our beautiful, subterranean garage and come to share a breakfast meal with Grace friends. (Vaccinations, distancing and face masks will make this possible.)
- Save these dates also: We will plan to have breakfast at Grace on the second and fourth Saturdays in January, on the 8th and again on the 22nd.
(Send me an RSVP before the in-person meals to plan for groceries and supplies, but come at the last minute if circumstances permit, because all are welcome and there will always be room for one more.)
SEEKING RACIAL EQUITY IN OUR DENOMINATION: CALL TO ACTION
In my ongoing journey of anti-racism, I’ve learned that there are many racial inequities impacting African Americans in our own ELCA institutions today. I’ve heard stories of the terrible impacts of church- sponsored Indian boarding schools and know that Lutherans ran some of those schools in the past, a legacy we still carry today. I imagine there are countless ways we can learn and grow and change as a congregation and denomination to live out God’s calling for racial equity. We are forming a group at Grace (a sub-group of the racial equity team) to find ways to address some of these issues in collaboration with others around the country. If you are interested, please contact me by November 30: Liz Andress, email@example.com.
We hope to convene for the first time in December and together decide how to proceed.
THE NATIONAL LUTHERAN CHOIR CHRISTMAS CONCERT
Mark your calendar on December 10 and 11 for the NLC’s 36th annual Christmas Festival, The Earth Adorned.
At The Earth Adorned, we will view the birth of Christ alongside the beauty of this world through works for choir and instruments including Aaron David Miller’s Chanticleer, Paul John Rudoi’s Orbit Carol, and the Creation Suite by Dr. Larry Fleming. The Earth Adorned will include community singing of carols, recitations of poetry, and more echoing through the Basilica of Saint Mary.
Christmas: The Earth Adorned (Live Concerts)
Friday, Dec. 10th – 4:30pm and 8pm @ The Basilica of Saint Mary
Saturday, Dec. 11 – 8pm @ The Basilica of Saint Mary
Adults and seniors: $33 | Students: Pay what you can | 18 and Under: Free
Christmas: The Earth Adorned (Virtual stream)
Available for viewing Dec. 10-12
For tickets and more information, visit NLCA.com or call 612-722-2301.
View the whole 2021-2022 season with NLC at NLCA.com.
ADDRESSING HUNGER DURING THE PANDEMIC
CALVARY LUTHERAN CHURCH
Calvary Lutheran Church (3901 Chicago Ave, Mpls) has an emergency food shelf on Saturdays – (http://clchurch.org) see “Emergency Food Shelf” on the home page, which includes information for those seeking food and a link to volunteer.
COMMUNITY EMERGENCY SERVICE (CES)
CES provides high-quality direct service to people in need through direct aid relief, advocacy, referral, guidance and prayer support, if desired. CES seeks to strengthen families and individuals with the goal of moving them beyond crisis to financial stability, as well as emotional health, personal growth and spiritual depth. The Grace community has been a strong supporter of this ministry for many years. To learn more: https://cesmn.org
You may send your check to Grace with “CES” in the memo line, and funds will be forwarded.